Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 10th Update

A few words from his email dated July 8th:

Hey Family!!

Sorry I missed out on a letter last week! I didn't have an email from you guys and so I thought I'd just write, then we ended up cleaning the temple which took all of our letter writing time! But still a bad excuse, so I am writing a pluthera of letters today to make up for it! This week has been full of cool opportunities! My assignment at our temple cleaning session was temple security! I was given a badge and told to guard the front entrance to the temple with my life, checking all the renovation workers passes and making sure no treachary was afoot. I was so stoked! Turns out I just sat in a comfy chair, ate jelly beans, and had a huge Book of Mormon reading fest. Not what I imagined, but definitely rewarding. I'm starting Alma 46 today- I saw in you last letters your still keeping up on the reading assignment... am I beating you guys? Remember the goal was to have all the reading done by the 24th of August- keep me posted on you guys' progress! For the 4th of July we had the opportunity to sit in on a special devotional on the events leading to the Restoration of the Gospel. We truly don't appreciate the men who did so much for us today and I was grateful to have that reminder. (Brayden and Skyler.... Elder Wilson and I happened to be studying in the northwest corner for any unusual sounds before the devotional started.... but nothing!) After that we were allowed to stay out on the lawn and watch the fireworks. They were incredible and it felt so late staying up past 10:30 (til 10:45 ha ha)! The Mongolian continues to humble my district and I- there is so much to do and I feel like the time is slipping through our fingers. We teach the 1st Lesson tomorrow in Mongolian and I will let you guys know what happens.... I continue to marvel at missionary life and all the blessings that come with it! I lack the perspective to truly recognize them all and it shows the Lord's infinite love for all of us, my goal continues to be more humble and aware of the Lord's hand so that I may be an effective instrument to Him. There is always room to improve and I still am not anywhere near the point I need to be at- which makes me grateful for the 2 months I have to grow in here!

A special shout out to Kendyl! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEIGHA!! I love you and hope you had a great time on Monday!

I'll include the rest of the details in my letters, I'll send them out today and expect some new pictures! Tell Brayden I'm sorry I couldn't run into him at the TRC, I've got laundry time while he's here... I love you guys and your in my prayers continually. I'm so grateful to our Heavenly Father as I read of all the rich blessings in your lives.... I hope more than anything you recognize this- we are incredibly blessed!!

Love, Elder Jolley

Few highlights from his letter on July 10th:

Ryan says he has been learning a lot about the Mongolian culture this past week. Couple things he shared (that he thought were ironic in relating to him):

•Mongolians generally hate waking up on time. One of his instructors, Bro Cannon (Cannon Ax in Mongolian) told them about companions (who were Mongolian) that he had that he practically had to jump on to get them up in the morning and that they would be angry for a while! (Not sure if Ryan was referring to his attempt in getting his brother Brayden up in the mornings, which can be next to impossible or if we was referring to himself—he tends to be a bit cranky if he's fallen asleep and you try to wake him.... maybe a bit of both!)

•All your belongings are free game. Cannon Ax said not to be surprised when your companion is wearing your stuff. (Ryan and Brayden often "borrowed" each other's stuff without asking the other)

Ryan continues to say... "I continue to see how the Lord prepares us for missions!!"

He says there is still no word on the visa, but knows the process takes a while so "no news is good news" for now.

He also received this Mongolian mission tag this week. Here is what his name looks like in Mongolian: Aхлагч Paняa AрБэн жолий (Elder Ryan Arben Jolley)

Elder Kolby Larsen and Elder Jolley • 6/27/10

Elder Wilson, Elder Jolley with Elder Oldroyd and Elder Tyler Haws • 6/20/10

No comments:

Post a Comment