Monday, April 11, 2011

Hey!

It blows my mind how quickly each week flies by and how much things are changing back at home. We're just coming off the General Conference Feast 2011 and now I'm on the edge of my seat for the May Ensign- there's a ton to study! Then this week we have an amazing opportunity coming up, the Area Presidency and Church Historians are coming to UB on Wednesday and we have a special conference about the history of the Church here in Mongolia. And we're performing a musical number "Joseph Smith's First Prayer," there are 6 of us, Elder Huff, Elder Tuvshinbayar, Elder Elthbeg, President Clark, Elder Byambasuren, and I. It's going to be a great conference and I'll make sure to let you know how it goes! We also started meeting with Bayarmunkhs parents and we taught the message of the Restoration, it was an incredible night and I have great hopes for that family.

Okay about your talk.... I wish like crazy I had my study journal and more time... this hour is always a crazy rush and so I hope that I will be able to convey my thoughts and help you in your preparation. Romans 8 (the whole chapter, but especially verses 34-39) speaks about what will separate us from Christ. Nothing but our own actions and deeds separate us from the peace of the Gospel and it's blessings through sin. When this happens, because we have separated ourselves from God, it is not He who has left us but it is us that has distanced ourselves from Him. That's what makes repentance so incredible and crucial to our growth. God gives us a way to cleanse ourselves from our mistakes and to "deny ourselves of all ungodliness." And from my experience as a missionary, it is a way that we can grow in our love and trust of Heavenly Father, and it is a practice we need to constantly apply in order to succeed in this life. Some of the investigators we meet with cannot seem to progress, and it is usually because they have not felt the love and change that comes through the power of the Atonement as we repent. While on the other hand, those who take advantage of this opportunity immediately enjoy the blessings of peace. There are no disadvantages to repentance! Waiting does nothing but prolong our own suffering, and since repentance doesn't benefit God in any way it is in our best interest to act quickly. We are meeting with a man that became a member of the Church almost 12 years ago, served an honorable full time mission, but since then has fallen into "unforbidden paths." We meet with him, he feels like going to Church again, and recognizes the lack of joy in his life that he once had. But will not commit to make the changes necessary. Until he will repent nothing can change, it's like what Alma says about rejecting the light we have received, it is taken away from us. Contrast that with a new member we have that constantly looks for ways to draw closer to God and feel His love through repentance, it leads him to feel his Fathers love in all that he does.


Sorry, times out and I've got to go, but I hope that helps and let me know how your talk goes! Elder Zolthbayar has had a couple of hard weeks as he has been overcoming some personal questions and concerns and it's an opportunity for me to learn to love, serve, and be patient. I am excited to again focus 100% on the work, but I continue to understand better the growth opportunities that the Lord gives us are specifically intended for us, and will ultimately lead to blessings and opportunities that we cannot, at the time, qualify for. I'm so grateful for that! Love you guys!


Elder Jolley


PS We had a couple of fun district activities with some of the Senior Couples and the Bishop, here's some pictures...





No comments:

Post a Comment