Monday, October 24, 2011

Hey Jolleys

How's it going? I'm riding the email high after all the great emails and pictures this week! Especially from nuguu Elder Jolley (means the other). Whoohoo! I didn't know Brayden was such a fly Spanish speaker and I'm super excited for him. He will pretty much unpack, and then his plane ticket comes and he's off to Buenos Aires. That's how it felt to me and my district watching all the 3 week missionaries at the MTC... you'd get to know them and then they're gone! But now I'm looking forward to hearing about his time in Argentina even sooner. It's been a nice full week here in UB- and we attended the Asia Area Conference in our home ward (Sansar), which felt great! Elder Tuvshinbayar and I right now are the only two Elders in that ward and so I'm pretty sure over the last 6 weeks, with all the traveling we've been doing that our ward thought the missionaries were transferred! But even with all the traveling we've been doing I have been grateful to see the work progressing on multiple fronts, and a little in our own area. This week, right before Transfer Saturday we have a baptism! Our investigator Munkh-Orchlon has been meeting with us since August, but previously met with the Sansar sister missionaries. She has a solid testimony, attends church as well as institute and other ward activities and is more than ready to be baptized- just one of those investigators that you have no doubts about and has truly been prepared to receive the Gospel.

So this week is transfers. That means lots of stuff to do, people to send off and pick up, and it's going to be a great week where a lot of good gets done. It's been very interesting to see the "behind-the-scenes" of these last two transfers working with President Clark. There's nothing secret about it, but I have especially gained a testimony this last week that the Lord knows where He wants His missionaries. This process is led by revelation through prayer! As the three of us have sat in President's office, discussing the needs and location of each missionary, that voice that "comes more as a feeling" has spoken to each of us; sometimes things just wouldn't feel right, so we'd go back to the drawing board. And when things were right a feeling of peace, that that missionary was in the right place. Then we'd move on to the next missionary. But before we sent out the transfer call we knew that everyone was were the Lord would have them be. It was a very simple, powerful experience for me and I am grateful that the Lord helps us line upon line as we go forward in His work. And there are some big changes occurring in our mission this transfer, it's exciting to see our mission be shaped to what it needs to become! I will be staying here in Sansar (sweet) but moving to a new apartment. I will still be an assistant to President Clark but taking on a interesting assignment. With the 8 new Elders coming from the MTC this week, they all need trainers and all need to be in UB. So, I'm going to be a trainer! We are splitting up; there will still be two assistants, but each will take a new missionary for at least the next 3 months. Elder Tuvshinbayar is on his way to Chingeltei (as a new trainer), and my old Chingeltei district leader, Elder Myagmardorj, will be stepping in as the 2nd assistant. This makes this next transfer very interesting- I feel the pressure of a lot of responsibilities and the need to very, very carefully organize my priorities. More important than my duties as assistant is my charge to train this new Elder to be a faith of power missionary, to help him be someone who will bring others unto Christ- and I want him to have the best first 3 months in Mongolia. Having said that, I've got to be honest and say I have no idea how I'm going to do that! But, I do know what I have been called to do. More importantly, I know Who the call has come from and so I'm calm about it. I shared this scripture with you before but I keep thinking about it again and again: Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me." That is a basic testimony that must be present (to some degree) in the heart of every saint. I know that we all have doubts, insecurities, and weaknesses, and I know that there is a Savior that will strengthen us as we come to Him.

I will make sure to let you know a few more details about my companion in the next weeks email. It wouldn't be the Mongolian mission if there wasn't an element of suspense involved with visa's. Like that, we don't know how many Elder will be here this week yet- some have their visas, and some are still waiting. But I realize that the uncertainty was good for me then and I'm glad these new missionaries have it now. It's just another sign of the amazing opportunity it is to serve here in Mongolia.

Oh and before I forget, I got my drivers license last week! So on Friday, I drove for the first time since leaving on my mission. This will be a big help when it comes to transfers and shuffling missionaries in and out of the city. Thanks you guys for the package ( I know you haven't even sent it yet, but I get spoiled by such a great family)!

No new pictures this week, but I'll send a few that I got from the Ford's during our youth conference trips. I love you guys!

Elder Jolley

Elder Jolley and a little friend

Elder Jolley and President Gankhoyag (the new branch president in Khovd)

No comments:

Post a Comment