Monday, October 11, 2010

Hey Family!

Bah, the computer I was just on kept cutting out on me and I've lost some precious time, so I'll get as much in as I can! I haven't had a chance to read your emails more than just a quick glance, but loved hearing about everything. Your lives are so exciting to me, I think not being in the daily grind makes it seem so much more fast paced, but I hope you guys notice that a little bit as well.

A little bit about this week... right after I emailed last Monday I got a call telling me that I would be teaching! No word on the students, how many, or how much they knew so I had no idea what was coming. I'm sending you a picture of me and my "students" against a projector screen, my class has actually doubled since then, but that's a good gauge of who I teach. They're all graduated designers and engineers so it's cool because I can relate to them and also strange that I'm teaching them! But so far so good and I'm right now working on laying out the goals and what they would like to learn from me. I teach every day from 6-8 p.m. and then Saturday's from 11-1 p.m., so I'm still not sure the effect it's going to have on the work... but now's my chance to really give a good impression and serve and I'm excited for that! All in all, it's been a really exciting week with lots of changes.

Transfers were on Saturday and Elder Amgalan was transferred to Nathaink (another area in the city)! It was a surprise to us and really weird to already have a transfer under my belt so early on (usually a transfer is 12 weeks), but I ended last week grateful for the opportunity to serve with him and excited for the new opportunities ahead! My new companion just came from the countryside and just moved in on Saturday. His name is Elder Ganbolthd and I'm super excited for the work we're going to do! He's got a really easy going personality and clicks easily with everyone- I'm excited to have a fresh view on our work and our investigators!

In addition to transfers, Saturday and Sunday were General Conference and then Sunday night to Wednesday is going to be our Mission Conference! I love the renewed commitment felt at Conference and add that with transfers and Mission Conference you have a Spiritual feast and I have been soaking it up as best I can. I especially took Pres. Eyring's challenge to find "my message" in every talk, and enjoyed receiving that promised blessing! My favorites had to be Elder Christofferson's talk on character (love that man), and President Uchtdorf's talks we're both incredible. I have been meaning to write this, but it has been interesting to me to see the spiritual thoughts you share with me, and notice a similar testimony building experience that I had or the things that you have shared will be that answer I'm looking for. Thank you for those thoughts! It's nothing short of inspiration and I constantly hope that I may be able to share things with you guys that will have the same impact. I've been working on an assignment that Elder Powell extended to us at Zone Conference; I have taken an unmarked Book of Mormon and am rereading it, marking every time that I see a word that refers to Christ. Along with that I've been trying to finish up Jesus the Christ and it has been strengthening my testimony of all that our Savior does for us! We have no reason to ever think of ourselves. Every blessing promised in the Book of Mormon is a result of a covenant or a commandment that He has given us as an OPPORTUNITY to be more greatly blessed. It had me thinking about the baptismal, Priesthood, and other covenants I have made and it was a great opportunity to remember the magnitude of those choices! If I can extend the same challenge to you guys, take a FHE lesson and look at these opportunities we have been blessed with, especially baptism and the sacrament- it's incredible!

It's still super warm here to me, compared to how I know it's going to get... and I haven't needed any more clothes than what I've brought so far. A lot of times my size is tricky (especially for shoes!), so I haven't been to the Zaakh yet to buy clothes. But last week I was at the mission office and received most of the clothes I'll need for the winter for free. A lot of the Elders who leave for home don't bring their coats back home and so they're up for grabs to anyone who fits in them. I've now got almost everything I need and haven't spent a Tugrug. I've been really wanting to be smart with money and that was a huge blessing to me! I can't thank you Mom and Dad enough for the sacrifice you have made to help me with this mission! I think about it all the time and I want you to know that I'm incredibly grateful for that! I only hope that I will have the chance to show the same kindness and selflessness that you show to me and the rest of the kids. Kid's- I promise you that you've got no idea of how good our parents are to us! I hope you will remember that, especially when they give you an answer or rule. I think of the Conference talk that was on parent's being "strong and of a good courage" and how I didn't always respect that counsel. I see how life is without that and I'm grateful for you Mom and Dad for having the love to be constant with that. Especially the stage that you're in now Brayd, remember that, because of all the kids right now Mom and Dad will have the most difficult rules, but that is the inspired counsel I was talking about! Coming from the super independent Ryan has got to be pretty ironic! I know. But sometimes a humbling moment is good for us all ya?

Here's a couple of other things I wanted to answer from last weeks emails:

Kendyl- Basically none of our holidays are celebrated here! Christmas is more of a Church member celebration, so that's gonna be strange to get used to eh? Last week I talked a little about the big holidays here so I won't rewrite that, but check that email out for the holidays here! As far as how you'd say Happy Halloween..... maybe "Khalthowhiin Mend!" Ha so that's basically saying "Halloween" and then "mend" after.

Mom- Love the insights each week... thanks! Haven't received the package yet but no fear everything coming to the city is super reliable. I figured out the pouch mail and it's not too bad, so I'm going to send out some letters here soon! Did you get anything from me this last week?

Brayd- I'm missing out on the mission prep updates bud! How's that going? Just got your Homecoming pics (nice work.... or ya..) Let me know how that's going bud! I've got some great ideas I've been cooking up on helping you be way more prepared for your mission- get ready for those!

Sky Guy- Thanks for the reminder on the Pastrami Burger ha ha... I had mutton instead so your totally missing out! You would love my new companion his humor reminds me of you a lot... I don't know a ton about him yet, but I'll fill you in a bit more next week. Plus enjoy the pictures!

Dad- Keep the journal entries coming! I love reading them and seeing how similar the work is! You had (as always) a positive attitude and never cease to find a positive point and a solution! I love that and am trying to have the same outlook, it's really been helping so thank you and see how the journal will bless those who read it after. No new updates on the Mechams, but I love working and hearing the Powells in their absence.

Andraya- Nice work on the tooth! I don't think anyone of us has ever been tough enough to get the tooth out ourselves! I love your emails! Let me know how school and friends are right now okay?

This is to everyone- I love the emails and the pictures especially! I second what Mom's saying about everyone looking older, the 3 younger kids have changed a ton! Kendyl and Draya look way older and Sky Guy's a man now, nice job buddy. Hope you like the pictures!

Elder Jolley


The Elders and Sisters.

Elder Jolley, Elder Amgalan and a couple of Sister missionaries outside the Church building.

No comments:

Post a Comment