Monday, October 4, 2010

Hey family! First of all, thanks for all the emails! I'll say that over and over, but I love it!

Couple quick things- I sent you a picture of my area map (with labels!) so you can see where I live! I had this email all planned out with the questions you had asked last week... then I forgot it so I'm going to do the best I can! About the water, President Batbolthd (we met his daughter at the Goodrich's) comes around each month and takes care of it, so we're all good there! I loved the questions from the family, if there are more in the coming months please send them and I'd love to answer them! I look forward to your package, thanks a ton for that! And at the same time, please don't spend an arm and a leg on shipping stuff out here - getting your emails each week is already awesome. I am also sending a surprise your way and I hope you'll like it.... (he he) you wouldn't believe my connections (or my luck) - it's nothing big but I hope you guys like it!


Area Map of where he lives and the district he serves in.

A little bit about this week~ I live with an American! Elder Cardinal was transferred to be the Zone leader in my area, and so know he and Elder Bilthguun live with Elder Amgalan and I. It's been a huge help for translating and improving my communication with my companion! It's also great to have the added Mongolian study help. He's from Bountiful and went to BYU before his mission. He also brought along dumbbells- it's great being able to get a good work out in again! I haven't been legit sore in a long time and it's helping me handle all the mutton I'm eating.

So funny thing just happened, the city's waking up and so a ton of people are at this internet cafe. Elder Wilson is next to me, and a lady just came up and looked at me, looked at the bag of baav we had between us (bread candy stuff), then took it and walked off.... okay. And now the kid next to us is trying to sneakily steal our wallets! His hand was on Elder Wilson's leg, and he was going for the pocket. Good times! Now watching the camera really carefully....

The outlined portions of my area picture are the places we cover, you'll see the mix of ger district and city, I think that's super cool! We received a new area and checked it out on Saturday (I sent a picture of it and a picture of me at the national cemetery there - lots of super old communist era stuff, it was really cool to see!). It's all hills and rough roads. Most of my area is pretty easy compared to others in the mission and so now I'm getting a taste of legit Mongolian roads! It's better to call it hiking then walking because the roads are just smoothed dirt paths out on the hillside!
Ryan at the National Cemetery

Ger District

Thanks a ton for the recipes! I've been trying to work on getting better at making stuff from scratch... that's how everything is done around here. Couple of questions for you guys.... How is everyone doing on the Book of Mormon reading? Let me know where everyone's at next week, ya? I'm working through Alma right now, going through all the great missionary chapters and still can't believe I'm actually on mine.... crazy! Also, love all the exciting stuff happening lately (Andraya lost a tooth!) and I'm printing those emails off after this so I'll be able to read them later and answer any questions.

Still no word on English teaching, the Powell's tried calling my sponsor, but I haven't had the chance to hear from them on what happened. So... maybe next week? I'm stoked to get started, the other 3 Elders are teaching right now and it sounds like they're doing good! I heard that from now on the Church is going to avoid doing sponsorships because of the hassle and the time it takes from missionary work. I'm interested to see how and when they'll be able to get more American Elders to Mongolia from here on out... because I know in the next 8 months or so the 3 "old Elders" will be leaving.

It was weird this week... looking at the clock and knowing that you were starting Conference together, going to Priesthood, all the family traditions, knowing that was happening but being a few time zones away! I'm going to be able to watch Conference at the same schedule, but just one week later. So I'm excited for this weekend and I'll be able to hear the talks you all were writing me about!! We also have Mission Conference the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday after; every missionary will be there and I'm excited for that- I'll give some highlights in the coming emails! Let me know if you have any questions, enjoy the pictures, and I love you guys!

Elder Jolley



(Editors note: I have no info on these last 3 photos. Fun shots to share though! Will ask next email and try to post next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment