Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hey Jolleys!

You all are good people... ya know that? Seriously though, thanks for being a "firm foundation" for me and those around you- it brings strength that cannot be found anywhere else, in the hard or good times! I've had another great, great week here and so I'll try to bring you all up to date, but as always "I cannot say a hundreth part" of what goes on and how incredible a mission is! I've realized 2 problems though: 1 is time, the other is people. There is just not enough time in a day or in a week to meet with all the people we need to. Then there's people... everyone needs this Gospel! I realize that more and more and it's been very hard for me these last 2 weeks when we have so many more people we could meet with, but just don't have the time. And I shouldn't be the one to decide who gets to hear the Gospel message. That's one of those unresolvable questions, but it's been on my mind a ton lately, along with the "1 year mark" that is coming full speed. Anyways, here's the week:

Monday, with a new companion it was time to do a little bit of home repair! When we moved into our new apartment there were 3 or so lights that didn't work (bad electrical system) and a toilet that wouldn't flush. Because of time we just bought candles and jerry-rigged the toilet (the candles at night effect was actually really cool)! We contacted Pres. Batbold, who is the 1st counselor in the mission presidency (we met his daughter at the Goodrich's house) and got everything fixed. I keep searching out new recipes and stuff to shake up our eating and to avoid mutton as much as possible while at home, and I've perfected the cake, and homemade chicken noodle soup. I made it without meat though and my companion refused to eat soup with just noodles, saying that's wrong. So we'll try it again next week, with meat!


Tuesday we had an incredible district meeting and the Spirit was very strong as we learned about Charity and Christlike attributes. I say incredible because the Spirit taught the lesson. I especially felt the teaching power that the Lord will bless us with if we make that our focus in preparation, whether it be with investigators, our district, our family home evening, etc. That should always be the center of our stud, and preparation. We also had a surprise guest, President Clark came and sat in on his first district meeting. With two of the district sisters and I becoming trainers, we've got new missionary enthusiasm and I love it! This week we've also found 7 great new investigators and now I hope that through meeting with us they will become 7 great progressing investigators. Also, have you heard of International Women's Day? Neither had I , but it was Tuesday and it's big in Mongolia!


This week has been real spring weather in the city, it's warm when there's no wind, but we've had some super strong winds, which is normal for spring here. Mom asked about the 2 pants thing that I've been wearing- 1 is my church slacks and the other is a mix between sweats and thermal pants, they cost me $1.50, everyone wears them here, almost all year round. I'm super excited to not wear them again! English teaching continues to be really up and down and so I only taught on Thursday last week. It's not a priority for my student's careers or for missionary work so let the good times roll! Thursday, with our weekly planning session and English class we only had time to meet with 2 people. We've found lots of investigators right near our apartment/the Church building and that's been a blessing.


Friday I conducted my first baptismal service and had a great, late FHE with our new member/inactive member family. Usually our Ward Mission Leader conducts the baptismal services, but he couldn't come and so I filled in. We also had our Bishop not come and so I was scrambling last minute to fill in the vacancies, but the meeting was great! I had the opportunity, after the newly baptized member bore her testimony, to share my own testimony of baptism and the example of our Savior. We all enjoyed a powerful presence of the Spirit and it was a great baptismal service. We've got 8 investigators with baptismal dates and so I'll be letting you know about them as their baptisms get closer. If all goes well our investigator Bayarmunx will be baptized on the 25th of March, he'll be the first one of the group. His sister is a Church member and he's a golden investigator! This is because of his own desire to act and to learn. Two weeks ago when we planned to talk about other scriptures and Church programs he told us that he'd already been going to Seminary (early morning) on his own! Best thing an investigator can say! Anyways, after the baptismal service we had FHE with the President's Assistants and our new member Sister Delgermaa and her husband Dulguun. I made an epic cake for this one while we ate lunch earlier that day! Our hope is to reactivate Dulguun, he's an RM and there is a noticeable difference in a person after they turn away from the light of the Gospel- he needs it again! Saturday and Sunday were great days, all full of lessons. Church is a lot more stressful on a mission as you focus on investigators! But I love work here in Sansar, it's come a long way from September. I promise I'm not trying to "sugar coat" the report here, missionary work's just that way!


To close I want to share a bit of what I learned last week from studying about charity. Matthew 22:36-39, Jesus talks about the greatest commandment. Then if we read President Uchtdorf's "Of Things That Matter Most" we learn that God intends this to be a commandment that takes patience, long suffering, and individual attention. It's the only true way to have charity! And like all commandments it is a choice!


Love,
Elder Jolley

No comments:

Post a Comment