Monday, May 16, 2011

Sain uu!

It's hard to email after we've just chatted ya? Everyone's emails said, "well, we just talked last week so now I don't know what to write!" I thought it was cool how when we talked this time it really felt like no time at all since we talked at Christmas.... I'm getting scared as the year mark approaches because I know time won't be slowing down anytime soon! This week has had lots of improvements in our work here in Khailaast because now we have people to teach! I've gained a huge testimony of the power of an area book and keeping records because coming to an area that didn't have an area book led to a very slow start in the work. But we had 2 investigators at Church and now am excited to see the work continue to progress, it's completely different from my time in Sansar, but I love it! I'm including the promised pictures. The first couple are of our last preparation day in Sansar, with Elder Zolthbayar, our sister district, and I (we didn't have any other Elders!).

Elder Zolthbayar and Elder Jolley on their last prep day

The Sansar District

The other pictures are of Elder Verdusco and I in our new area. As you can see it's on the outskirts of the city and "high on the mountain top."


Anyways, a little about the week...

Monday was crazy! After we Skyped there were big plans to see a bit of the city and get a lot of "renovating" done in our apartment, but we ended up doing government registration almost the whole day to get Elder Verdusco his living permit.

Then Tuesday we had our first district meeting with the Khailaast District and I look forward to working with these Elders and Sisters. There are 6 missionaries in the Khailaast Branch, our 2 Zone Leaders Elder Tuvshinbayar and Mungunsukh, Sister Nasanjargal and Orkhontuul, then Elder Verdusco and I. Then off to English and that took up the whole day. I'm hoping that Elder Verdusco doesn't start teaching English for a while because that could take up a lot of our work time if he and I were to teach.


Elder Jolley and Elder Verdusco


Wednesday Elder Mungunsux and I went on a companionship exchange and he showed me around Khailaast where all of the inactive and new members live and that was a great help in learning this new area. It snowed and the temperature dropped a bunch, but on those hard weather days it always feels good to be about the Lord's work, come rain or snow and it was a very great day! It also gave Elder Verdusco a chance to experience a day with a Mongolian companion to really test out his own Mongolian skills. With me he slips into English easily and so I'm trying to be really diligent about speaking Mongolian as much as possible.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I taught English from 5:30 on (I taught Elder Wilson's class) and fit in as many appointments as possible before that! We have one great investigator now that we will set a baptism date with this week! His name is Battugs, he is 29 and introduced himself to us on the street. I have a picture on Elder Verdusco's camera that I'll get forwarded to you soon. He's reading a ton out of the Book of Mormon and praying, but has a hard time coming to Church because he feels he does not know enough. But we kept him in our prayers this week and he was at Church on Sunday! It highlights the differences in investigators and their readiness to accept Gospel principles. We also had a new senior couple, the Richardsons, arrive in Khailaast and will be attending that branch throughout their mission, so this gives me a great opportunity to sharpen my translating skills.


This week I have been especially grateful for the priesthood and this amazing Gospel that brings such power into our lives. How blessed we are to live in a time where the Restored Gospel is again on the earth! I have been studying the Christlike attributes this week and found a passage on Hope that I would like to share with you all:


"Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promises to you. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance. It is believing and expecting something will occur. When you have hope, you work through trials and difficulties with the confidence that all things will work together for your good." (PMG pg. 117)


As I was studying this topic I thought about all the promises the Lord has made to me, especially baptism and temple covenants along with my patriarchal blessing. These are all goals that I know are possible through the Savior and it gives me such peace knowing that I don't have to rely on my own strength, because there is someone much greater than I who has covenanted to help me! That is something I did not understand before my mission as well as I do now. It helps erase all feelings of doubt and fear as we learn to rely on the power of our Savior and His Atonement. I love you guys, take care!


Elder Jolley

No comments:

Post a Comment