Sunday, September 12, 2010

Breaking into a new pattern

Hey Family!

Ah I love email day! I am already going to apologize because I won't be able to email back to the individual emails all the way because of time- but don't stop writing them! Seriously, I've been missing the different perspectives and hearing from each of you every week and so I'll do my best to do the same.

Oh this week.... It's been a week of growth for me and so I'm incredibly grateful for all the stretching! Early last week the "honeymoon phase" of coming to Mongolia wore off- I woke up one morning and thought to myself "This bites. I can't communicate with people, speaking is a constant challenge, and I there's no food in my apartment." It was the weirdest morning I've had on my mission. Don't think I'm hating it and I want to go home! This has been a great growth experience and that is why I share that. I had a good day of working hard but couldn't shake the negativity in the back of my mind. I knew I had to shake myself out of this stage and so I dove into the Book of Mormon for a fresh perspective. If we stay caught in the rut of our problems nothing good will come of it, and I wanted out of this fast. I have been frustrated because of my own abilities, my own weaknesses, and there's a huge problem with that. All "my" statements and not taking into account the role of Christ! Moroni 10 speaks of being perfected "in Christ" and salvation coming through him. I love that phrase that it is in Christ that we do these things. The same applies for the areas that we struggle with. So I have been doing all I can to prepare and put forth my best effort, than placing that before the Lord and asking him to fill the gap, and as I have done that with sincerity and faith I am able to teach, communicate, and do His work better!

As far as news this week, we have been able to teach a lot of lessons and I'm enjoying getting to know and from that develop a love for the people we're teaching. On Wednesday I hope to hear about my English sponsor and arrange a meeting to figure out what I'll actually be doing! I am waiting on my registration with the government and so after that the ball will start rolling with that.

This week I had legit Kraft Mac n Cheese! And these German Cornflakes! Ah man it was the best, now that I've settled into the apartment and know what's available the food at home has improved a ton, I'm hoping to try out a few of your recipes Mom in the next week or so. We don't eat with members a ton but when we do the food has been great! I'm beginning to develop a taste for the hiram (milk, salt drink) and the hard curdled milk candy- being in the city the food isn't crazy but I still get to experience the Mongol food! I'm sending a few pictures and when I figure out a better way to send photos I'll add more. I was loving hearing about your week! And especially the photos, everyone looks so much older, I can't believe it! I've gotta go, but I love you guys, think about you all the time and can't wait to here from you again!

Elder Jolley


(A little extra...) More pictures. I've got a few more minutes while they load so I'll pack some info in. Elder Amgalan (my companion) is from Darhan and has been on his mission now for just over a year (his mission began June of 2009). I'm trying to learn more about him, but he's a great trainer! Loves Micheal Jackson, the show "Naruto" or something like that, an anime show. (haha). He's great with people though and carries the conversational part of our work. Our situation is different because the other American's have companions that speak English and Elder Amgalan has only basic vocab and random phrases so communication is difficult sometimes. But I've been very grateful for him carrying our companionship so much! It has to be hard having the companion that doesn't speak much and doesn't really know what's going on (me) and I rely on his expertise a lot!


Elder Tyler Mickelson, Elder Jolley and Elder Tyler Helvey (August, before Ryan left the MTC)

Ryan's study area in his mission apartment in Ulaanbaatar

Elder Jolley with Ulaanbaatar in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment